The Tennessee Department of Health is following CDC recommendations and providing a booster dose of the Pfizer COVID-19 vaccine to certain populations.
Individuals may choose which vaccine they receive as a booster dose (i.e. "mix and match" vaccines). The Williamson County Health Department only administers the Pfizer vaccine.
Pfizer and Moderna
You may get a booster if you are:
When to get a booster:
- At least 6 months after completing your primary COVID-19 vaccination series
Which booster should you get?
- Any of the COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States
Johnson & Johnson
- Individuals who are 18 years and older and received the single-shot Johnson & Johnson vaccine are recommended to get a booster two months after their initial vaccine, and have the choice of any of the COVID-19 vaccines authorized in the United States.
- The Williamson County Health Department ONLY has the Pfizer vaccine available
- Bring your vaccine card when getting a booster
- Appointments are recommended to keep wait time minimized
- Patients do not need to prove their age or health condition to be eligible for the booster dose
- Booster vaccines are also widely available vaccines.gov
Boosters vs Additional Dose:
- Booster: a dose of vaccine when the initial sufficient immune response to a primary vaccine series is likely to have waned over time.
- Additional dose or "third" dose: administration of an additional vaccine dose when the initial immune response following a primary vaccine series is likely to be insufficient. If you are looking for info on additional mRNA doses for immunocompromised individuals, click here.
- Make appointments with the health department at vaccinate.tn.gov
- The Williamson County Health Department news release on boosters and mix-and-matching can be found here.
- The Williamson County Health Department news release on Pfizer booster doses can be found here.
- More information on the CDC’s recommendation for a booster dose is available here.
- Further details on Pfizer booster recommendations for healthcare providers can be found here.